Home Home

 
Index...

Search this site:
1. Sixty Years of Cycling - 1897 magazine article
2. The Arno Motor Company of Coventry 1908-1916, by Damien Kimberley
3. The New Bablake Schools - 1889 article
4. Public Baths - The Building News, Jan 24th 1896
5. A short history of Coventry's Theatres and Cinemas, by Bill Birch
6. The Brough Superior, by Damien Kimberley
7. Proposal for St. Michael's Campanile c1890
8. Coventry's Rich Heritage, by Pete Walters
9. Coventry, the Home of the Cycle Trade - 1886 magazine article
10. The Dragoon Cycle Company of Coventry, by Damien Kimberley
11. Edwin Brown, Victorian Animal Artist, by Stephen Catton
12. Coventry Volunteer Fire Brigade - Illustrated London News, Jan 4th 1862
13. The Great Flood of December 1900, and the lost Bridges, by Damien Kimberley
14. Coventry's Great Flood - London Daily Graphic, 2nd January 1901
15. New Drinking Fountain at Coventry - 17 Sep 1859
16. Henry Cave, and the 'Lady' Autocar of 1899, by Damien Kimberley
17. The Ira Aldridge Trail, by Simon Shaw
18. The Lion Bicycle Company of Coventry & Wolverhampton 1877-1882, by Damien Kimberley
19. The Beech on Wheels, by Derek Robinson and forum member Foxcote
20. Phil Silvers Archival Museum, by Paul Maddocks
21. Transport Museum pt.3 - Creating the Blitz Experience, by Paul Maddocks
22. What links a Spitfire's landing gear to a baby buggy? by Paul Maddocks
23. The sound that almost killed my Dad in the War!, by Paul Maddocks
24. D-Day and Monty's Staff Car, by Paul Maddocks
25. Transport Museum pt.2 - New Hales Street Entrance in 1985, by Paul Maddocks
26. Transport Museum pt.1 - How the Queen's 1977 visit sowed the seed, by Paul Maddocks
27. What links R2D2 to a Coventry Hydrogen/Electric cab company? by Paul Maddocks
28. Transport Museum pt.6 - The Royal Cars, by Paul Maddocks
29. Transport Museum pt.5 - The 1987 F.A. Cup Winners' Sky Blue Bus, by Paul Maddocks
30. The Tapestry and its Hidden Secret, by Paul Maddocks
31. Transport Museum pt.4 - Coventry's Land Speed Record Cars, by Paul Maddocks
32. Whitefriars Gatehouse and Toy Museum, by Paul Maddocks
33. WW1 and Wyley of Charterhouse, by Paul Maddocks
34. Miss Bashford, a Teacher's Tale, by Simon Shaw
35. Motor Panels (Coventry) Ltd, by Damien Kimberley
36. Not Forgotten, the 1939 IRA bomb attack, by Simon Shaw
37. Let's talk about Rex, by Damien Kimberley
38. Coventry, the Silk Trade and the Horsfall family, by Ian West
39. The Saint Joseph the Worker parish in Coventry, by Terence Richards - Part 1
40. The Saint Joseph the Worker parish in Coventry, by Terence Richards - Part 2
41. The Saint Joseph the Worker parish in Coventry, by Terence Richards - Part 3
42. A brief history of Saint Osburg's, in pictures, by Damien Kimberley
43. The First Tudor Feast, by Richard Ball
44. 1930s Austin's Monthly Magazine articles, by John Bailey Shelton MBE
45. Plan for the City Centre - The Architect and Building News, 21st March 1941
 

1930s Austin's Monthly Magazine articles, by John Bailey Shelton MBE

as originally published in Austin's Monthly Magazine from November 1832 to June 1939

Compiled and transcribed by R. W. Orland, 2005

I'm sincerely grateful to the Shelton family for their kind permission and encouragement to publish these works.

J. B. Shelton's post-war book A Night in Little Park Street can be viewed here (in PDF format).

Contents

Display ALL articles

Date:Subjects covered:

1932

NovGosford Gate
DecCo-op Site, West Orchard

1933

JanWest Orchard, Bridge etc.
FebBroadgate Excavations
MarBroadgate Excavations
AprBroadgate Excavations
MayBlack Bull Inn, Pepper Lane
JunBlack Bull Inn
JulCox Street - River Excavations
AugCox Street - River Excavations
SepCox Street - River Excavations
OctCox Street - River Excavations
NovCox Street - River Excavations
DecPark Side Excavations

1934

JanPark Side Excavations
FebBurges Excavations
MarBenedictine Site Excavations
AprBenedictine Site Excavations
MayBenedictine Site Excavations
JunBenedictine Site Excavations
JulCoventry Castle
AugBenedictine Site, Palmer Lane Guest House
SepBenedictine Site, Wooden Bridge
OctAntiquities Exhibition at the Drill Hall
NovWell Street Excavations
DecPriory Pool & Mills

1935

JanPriory Pool & DIstrict
FebNew Buildings, Tower Foundations
MarCity Wall, Cook Street Gate, Plumb House
AprPriory Tower
MayPriory Tower, Gulson Road, Round Tower, New Gate Foundations
JunBroad Well, Burges Ford, Palmer Lane
JulWhite Friars
AugMeeting House, Smithford Street
SepMeeting House, Smithford Street
OctMeeting House, Smithford Street, St. John's Hospital Excavations
NovSt. John's Hospital, Barracks Square, Black Bull Inn
DecBarracks Square, Black Bull Inn

1936

JanBarracks Square, Black Bull Inn
FebButcher Row
MarButcher Row
AprButcher Row
MayButcher Row
JunOwen Owen's Site
JulOwen Owen's Site
AugOwen Owen's Site
SepOwen Owen's Site
OctTrinity Street
NovTrinity Street
DecTrinity Street

1937

JanBenedictine Museum
FebPool Meadow to Priory Street
MarPool Meadow to Priory Street
AprPool Meadow to Priory Street Excavations
MayBull Ring, Pottery Kiln, Hippodrome
JunHippodrome, Rex Cinema
JulBablake Excavations
AugCow Lane Site Excavations

1938

MayRex Site, Trinity Street
JulBroadgate Excavations
SepBablake Excavations, Co-op Site, West Orchard
OctTrinity Street, Bull Ring
NovSt. Mary's Cathedral Site, Bull Ring
DecSt. Mary's Cathedral Site, Bull Ring

1939

JanPost Office Excavations
FebSt. Mary's Cathedral Site
MarArt Gallery and Museum
AprArt Gallery and Museum
MayArt Gallery and Museum
JunBablake Excavations

West Orchard, Bridge etc.

January 1933

III. EXCAVATIONS IN WEST ORCHARD (BRIDGE, &c )

Having dealt with part of West Orchard in Article II. will readers keep the Leather Hall in mind while reading this. The bridge just destroyed was not the first bridge standing there, for the Leet records that in 1448 Will Pier was keeper of the bridge and 'reparation' of same, and was ordered to keep the bridge clean. During excavation in 1932 the oak posts of the old bridge were discovered. The bridge just destroyed was probably built about 1700, and part of the 'feather' which supported centre of arches was of stone from the city wall or gates, as was also the river wall on the Co-op side. Some of these stones bore marks of bullets. The under part of the feather was of much earlier construction being made with rough stones round the sides, the inner part being filled in with gravel from the river bed. It contained quite a number of interesting articles, viz., a pig of iron, a lady's spur of six spikes, two iron knives, a blacksmith's punch, a pewter spoon with name on handle but defaced - all of 15th to 16th century. The second oldest and important ditches ran to the river, and carried the sewage from the alms-houses or sege houses, and Peacock Inn that stood where our Market Hall stands at present, and also from the Leather Hall. This ditch was still intact, but dry. An open gutter ran by the houses from the Peacock Inn to the ditch and in 1447 all householders who were in the line of the gutter had to keep it clean by digging out the rubbish twice a year. On the west side of the river a roadway several feet below the present road into Corporation Street was found, and possibly led to the mill that stood about the middle of Corporation Street where the piles and foundations were found. This mill was driven by the little stream called the river Albert, which has just been turned into the Sherbourne at the corner, and the stone culvert carrying the water away to the Priory Mill dam was found underneath the new hotel at corner of Corporation Street. The Millhouse stood at the top corner of Well Street, and has been taken down of late. A mill-stone was found near this house. On the Co-op side of the bridge and actually under the causeway at a depth of 9 feet from present level a ford was discovered. The road above the water was made of pebbles from the brook, and after discovering this a search was made for horse shoes, as it was found that the bed of the river at that spot was a very fine sample of clay and most suitable for pulling shoes off the feet of horses crossing the ford. The search was rewarded by finding twenty or more shoes all in very good condition though made of much thinner iron than those used to-day. Large horses could not have been used in those days, possibly 500 to 1000 years ago, as no shoe found measured more than 5-ins. long by 41/2-ins. wide, while to-day the larger horses shoes would be at least 2-ins. bigger each way. Several of the shoes had been shaped for lame horses. Very few nails were discovered, as hand-made nails with square heads were not counter-sunk, and as soon as the heads were worn thin the shoe parted from the hoof.


 
 
 
Associated pages....
Home | How this site began | Bibliography | About me | My music | Discussion Forum | Steve's website | Historic Stoke, Coventry | Orland family website
Top of the page
3,230,467

Website by Rob Orland © 2002 to 2024